Monday, July 23, 2012

Of Chik-fil-A and Tolerance

It's been a long time since I actually blogged in here.  I've thought about it for quite some time, even talked about getting back into.  I just couldn't find that last little "oomph" I needed to push me back into it.  Until recently.  I have tried to restrain myself from conversations and threads and blogs, but I have finally broken.  I just can't stand to read about what Chik-fil-A did or did not say in the news.



At first, I must admit, I found it somewhat amusing.  Not that people were verbally attacking CFA, but that there are still people out there that had/have no idea that it is a Christian-run company.  Regardless of what you do or do not believe in, I had always assumed that this was just common knowledge.  "Oh, it's Sunday.  No Chik-fil-A today."  That, and the constant streaming of CCM and gospel music in the restaurants.  "Dead give-away," I thought.  Nope.  Apparently, it's still surprising people.  Right now, as you're reading this, someone, somewhere JUST found out that Chik-fil-A is run by Christians, and it either praising it or hating it.


But over the past week or so, the stories and comments have escalated.  I'm not talking about the amount of discussion, but the amount of hatred.  So I figured that if I wanted to have an idea of what is actually going on, I'd better start reading.  Well, by now, everyone is probably acquainted with CNN's handling of the story.  But then, I came across an article that called CNN's journalistic integrity into question.  So I decided I'd read the original article for myself.


The article spends most of its time discussing Dan Cathy, his faith, and how it impacts his handling of the business.  You know: wanting to glorify God by giving great customer service; businesses being closed on Sundays vs. open on Sundays; wanting his work ethic to honor God.  In fact, most of the article doesn't even come close to mentioning anything regarding his stance on homosexual marriage.  Then, at the end of the article, we read, 
Some have opposed the company's support of the traditional family. "Well, guilty as charged," said Cathy when asked about the company's position.  "We are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that.  "We operate as a family business ... our restaurants are typically led by families; some are single. We want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families. We are very much committed to that," Cathy emphasized.  "We intend to stay the course," he said. "We know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."
Never once is there a mention of being anti-anything.  No mention of hatred.  No mention of exclusion.  In response to opposition, he simply states what he believes.  He knows that not everyone agrees, but that's what he believes and supports.  He's not telling others what to believe, and he's not condemning people who don't agree with him.  Which drives us to what this whole debacle is truly about: TOLERANCE.


When I hear the word "tolerance" these days, I can't help but think of Inigo Montoya's classic line, "You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means."  Tolerance used to define people getting along - or, tolerating - each other, despite differing viewpoints on issues.  The two people may not agree, but they can work around their differences.  Today, however, tolerance seems to mean a general, blanket acceptance.  In order to be "tolerant" of someone, you must accept what they do, and must NOT believe it is wrong.  I find it amusing that the article closes with Cathy stating, "We know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."  Interestingly, it seems that many people who disagree with Cathy are clamoring for a boycott, which seems completely counter to the very notion of tolerance.  In fact, it seems that the people who cry out the most for "tolerance" are usually the most intolerant to anyone who disagrees with them.  


Now, I know that the whole blame and boycott game comes from both liberals and conservatives alike.  But seriously, Muppets are angry because delicious chicken supports old-fashioned families?  This is no longer news.  It's beyond bizarre.  This is just becoming foolishness.

10 comments:

  1. Great post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. You're such a gifted communicator. Keep up the blogs! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The official boycott on Chick-Fil-A was started over a year ago when it came into the lime light that they monetarily support anti-gay organizations that use pray-the-gay-away methods and other forms of psychologically disturbing "cures" that actually do more damage than good. That's really what the boycott is about, but it seems that the original cause has been buried under this mish-mosh of mass media bullshit because the recent statements caught more attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam, thanks for commenting. I know that there was a boycott that started a while ago, but the purpose of this article was not to address the boycott itself. My whole point of this blog was to point out the misquoted journalism, the current media insanity, and the misunderstanding of the term "tolerance." But thanks for joining the conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog post was a topic of conversation at church tonight. Thank you for saying what so many of us were thinking. Just Bills!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I just have to comment now. I can understand if you’ve only been tuned into this for the past week or so how you might think that people are being a bit ridiculous about this whole controversy and boycott, but you should really look further into some of the things CFA has openly supported. I know that people have the right to believe in and support whatever they want. I also understand that being a straight, white, Christian male living in the south, you probably haven’t been the target of hate crimes and/or discrimination very often. I think it is that more than anything why certain groups of people have been so against their corporation and what it stands for. and I'm not talking about their support of "traditional" marriages. Things that they have supported in the past have encouraged people to be even more closed-minded and hateful towards people who are not like them. They are complete liars anyways; and have been blaming Jim Henson’s pulling their product on a “possible safety issue” haha.
    Not like I care too much about this issue; as a vegan, they obviously don’t get my business anyways. :D and besides, boycotting a place/product that you like to eat is a bit silly anyways. It’s like the current boycott against Oreos cookies, only it’s comments like this, left by the “Christians” who don’t agree with Oreo openly supporting all marriages, not just heterosexual ones that make the difference:
    "I hope Nabisco goes out of business for supporting this atrocity. I will make sure my friends and family never buy your products.
    Fuck faggots. Hate them so much. So many whose skulls I want to smash in with a hammer. I thank those who support this boycott and GOD BLESS AMERICA."
    It can be scarier out there than you might think and its things like this that can make it worse. I like the saying “Don’t like gay marriage? Don’t get gay married.” I have so much I could write, but this is one of the busiest weeks of my life. :D Like always, you are an amazing writer… I just don’t agree with this one. Hope this isn't offensive..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becca, thanks for posting. I'm going to attempt to reply in pieces...

    1. RE:The Muppet recall. I'm not going to pretend like I know what's the truth behind the whole thing. Some sources say that CFA made the notice the day before, some sources say it's due to the Jim Henson statement. I haven't researched that one enough yet, so that's where I am on that.

    2. You're right in saying that I've never been been the subject of a hate crime. I'm not trying to imply that I am, and I would never begin to imagine how traumatizing that can be. But I think my main problem with the situation at hand is that since Cathy stated his opinion, suddenly the entire company is labeled "anti-gay." Using a phrase like that seems to only be used as inflammatory language, bent on polarizing sides, thus creating an "us vs. them" battle. As a private business owner, he's allowed to spend his money where he chooses, and as an American, he's allowed to have an opinion, even if everyone doesn't agree. And those who disagree are fit to hold to those opinions, as well.

    3. I completely agree with the silliness over the boycotting issue. It's absurd from both sides. And as a Christian, I ashamed to sear and hear how other Christians have portrayed us as a whole. Hateful, destructive language like that is never called for, especially from a group of people who claim to be proclaiming the love of God.

    You and I have known each other for quite a long time, and I hope you know that even though I may not agree with what you believe, that does not change the deep love I have for you as my friend. I would like to think that our years of friendship have proved that. I don't take offense to your post, because I know that this is a very important issue with you. But I do love you enough to say that I have a differing opinion, yet love you regardless. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't mean to imply that I thought you were trying to act like you had been the victim of hate crimes or anything like that. Or that I have, even. When I wrote that, I was thinking of a boy I know who was attacked by a group of guys who beat the crap out of him because he was gay as a crowd of people gathered around to watch.
    I know that people are allowed to support and spend their money on whatever they choose. It's kind of funny, because this has been around for quite a long time (CFA supporting anti-gay organizations) so I'm not sure why it's suddenly such a big deal. It can't just be his recent statements, because they don't really say much one way or the other. I need to research what some of the organizations were again. I feel like one of them was for that reparative therapy (the one that the psychologist who came up with it recently came out and apologized to the gay community for). That's nice and all, but it was a little too late for all that. The damage had already been done. In addition to all that those people had to go through, a lot of them ended up committing suicide because of his "proven theory". Even though CFA and other corporations have every right to support organizations like this.. it's still very sad because so many people buy into the things that they promote. Again, I wasn't trying to offend you in any way. I love you and love reading your posts, and have for 10+ years. :D Besides, having different sides to things is often a very good thing! and I like hearing all of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, straight, white, Christian males is the only group that you can get away with criticizing, bashing, making fun of, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thom: Good job on your blog! Proud of your common-sense, biblical, compassionate response. And not a bad son-in-law! Dr. Larry Dixon

    ReplyDelete