Thursday, July 26, 2012

Generosity in Action

As many of you already know, we had a semi-tragic loss within our family a couple months ago.  And by semi-tragic, I mean Isaac lost his Ugly Doll that he carried around with him everywhere.  I made the mistake of bringing Turny Burny (said Ugly Doll's name) into WalMart with us as we picked up a few items.  I looked down at one point, and Burny was nowhere to be found.  I searched that store three times.  Every aisle, looking under shelves on every aisle we went down.  I was devastated, even though Isaac really didn't know what had happened.



See, I had bought this Ugly Doll for Isaac shortly after Amy first became pregnant.  I think it was my first gift I had bought for my as-yet unborn son.  I couldn't wait to give it to him!  And once he was born, I was thrilled to see Isaac love on his present.  It was the perfect size for him to hold, hug, and chew on.  That Ugly Doll went everywhere with us.  So, when Burny went MIA at WalMart, that wasn't just a missing stuffed animal: it was a precious gift that had vanished.

After a couple weeks of searching WalMart again and again, and leaving a drawing and my phone number, just in case, I had no idea what else I could do.  Then it dawned on me: Craig's List.  The weirdest things can happen on there, so I figured I'd give it a shot.  "Stuffed Toy Lost" was the header, and had a brief description and a couple images of Burny.  I didn't really expect an answer, but the reply I received was a joyous blessing.  A wonderful woman replied with the following message:

My daughter lost her stuffed bear when she was around the same age. I was
blessed by a group of people that I didn't even know who anonymously sent
her another. So I would like to pay it forward and purchase one for your
son. Where can I find it?

So after a few emails back and forth, I was excited to know that Burny was coming back to us!  Not the same exact Burny, with all of his chewed-on flavor and wear-and-tear from infant loving, but it was Burny, nonetheless.  And so this week, Wednesday, July 25, I met up with this lovely woman to receive her gift for a child she had never met.  It was all I could do to hold back the tears when she handed me our new Burny. But her kindness and generosity has deeply affected our family.  It is a kindness that is rare these days.  Everywhere you look, it easy to see surrounding full of greed, selfishness, and pride.

But you, HC, are a blessing to my family, and I cannot thank you enough.  I hope I can bring as much joy to another family as you have brought to ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment